Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Barack Obama's re-election


Yes. "Four more years" that was the tweet from his account. I couldn't continue watching the news-cast as the results were pouring in and the statistics were re-calculated. I was tired from a long day's work and went to sleep. Of course I took my phone with me because I wanted the alarm to ring next morning near my ears to shake me up from my slumber. I told my wife, "Pennsylvania is blue now". She advised me to go to sleep as she had complete faith on the stupidity of the American people and in the defeat of Obama in their hands.

I was hopeful. Not only because this is the man who actually believes in what he stands for, but also he is the perfect symbol of the future America. These people need to re-elect him as their leader. Only he has the vision to see 20 years into the future and prescribe strategies to prepare for it. I wanted to know the future of the country my daughter is born into. What are the promises or challenges that are  in store for her as a Indian American. Will she be discriminated? Because she is not catholic or because she is a girl or she is not Caucasian?  Will America be able to lead the World after 20 years from now? Those were the questions waiting to be answered. This election will tell us not only about the next American President but also about the American people - how they are thinking about their own country's future - the demography, the social infrastructure, the very flesh and bone of how does it feel being an "American"?

And then my phone vibrated on my bed. It was a push notification from New York Times. Barack Obama gets re-elected. I happily went to sleep. The future won't be that bad for my daughter.....

No comments:

Post a Comment